Best Accounting Firm Canada

Required Documents for Filing a Tax Return in Canada

When it comes to filing a tax return in Canada, it is crucial to have all the necessary documents in order. Filing your taxes accurately and on time can help you take advantage of various benefits and credits offered by the Canadian government. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the required documents for filing a tax return in Canada and provide you with valuable insights to navigate the Canadian tax system with confidence.

Understanding the Importance of Filing a Tax Return

Filing a tax return is not only a legal requirement but also an opportunity to access government programs and benefits. Even if you have no income to report, filing a tax return as an international student is highly recommended. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) provides a list of reasons why you should file a tax return, including the possibility of receiving tax refunds and accessing important government programs and benefits.

Determining Your Residency Status for Tax Purposes

As an international student studying in Canada on a study permit, you are generally considered a resident of Canada for income tax purposes. However, it is essential to assess your residential ties to Canada to determine your residency status accurately. Your residency status can impact your tax obligations and the benefits you are entitled to. It is advisable to consult the CRA or refer to the Government of Canada’s website for more information on filing an income tax return as a student.

Key Dates for Filing a Tax Return in Canada

Understanding the key dates for filing a tax return in Canada is crucial to ensure compliance with the tax regulations. The tax year in Canada runs from January to December, and the deadline to file an income tax return is typically April 30th of the following year. However, if the deadline falls on a weekend or a public holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day. It is important to note that any outstanding tax payments are still due by the April 30th deadline.

Required Documents for Filing a Tax Return

To successfully file your tax return, it is essential to gather specific documents and information. Here are the key documents you will need to have in hand:

  1. Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN): You will need a valid SIN or ITN to file your tax return. If you are not eligible for a SIN, you can apply for an ITN.
  2. Income Tax Slips: Income tax slips, such as T4 or T4A, are essential documents that show your employment income and any deductions made. If you received scholarships, awards, grants, or bursaries, you will also need the relevant tax slips, such as T4A.
  3. Interest Tax Slips: If you earned interest income from financial institutions, you will need the relevant tax slips, such as T3 or T5, to report this income accurately.
  4. Tuition Receipt (T2202A): Your tuition receipt, also known as T2202A, is a crucial document that outlines the months attended and the tuition fees paid. This information is essential for claiming education-related tax credits.
  5. Donation Receipts: If you made donations to Canadian charities, you should gather the donation receipts to claim any eligible tax credits.
  6. Medical Receipts: Keep track of any out-of-pocket medical expenses as they may be eligible for tax deductions. Make sure to collect the relevant receipts for these expenses.
  7. Rent Receipts: If you paid rent for your accommodation, you may be eligible for the Ontario Trillium Benefit. Ensure you have the necessary rent receipts to claim this benefit.
  8. Correspondence from the CRA: If you have filed taxes in Canada before, it is important to keep any correspondence from the CRA, including your past notice of assessments.

Remember to keep these documents organized and easily accessible when it comes time to file your tax return. It is recommended to retain these documents for at least six years in case the CRA requests a review.

Reporting Income and Claiming Deductions

When filing your tax return, accuracy is key. You need to report your income correctly and claim any eligible deductions, credits, and expenses. Here are the key steps to consider:

  1. Report All Sources of Income: Make sure to report all sources of income, including employment income, self-employment income, foreign investment income, and any other earnings.
  2. Claim Deductions and Credits: Take advantage of eligible deductions and credits to reduce your taxable income. Some common deductions include pension contributions, registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) contributions, union dues, and child care expenses. Be sure to keep receipts and documentation to support these deductions.
  3. Consider Tax Treaties: If you have worked in another country, your income tax return and residency status for tax purposes may be impacted by tax treaties between Canada and that country. It is important to understand the implications and consult a tax professional if necessary.

Tax Filing Assistance and Resources

Filing a tax return can be a complex process, especially for international students. Fortunately, there are resources and options available to help you with your tax filing. Here are some avenues to explore:

  1. Tax Filing Help on Campus: Many universities offer free tax clinics where volunteers can assist you in completing your tax return. These clinics are often organized by student associations, accounting departments, or community organizations. Check if your university has such a clinic and gather information about their services and availability.
  2. Tax Filing Help in the City: If you prefer professional assistance, you can hire a tax preparer or accountant to handle your tax return. Make sure to choose a professional with experience filing tax returns for international students. You can search online for reputable firms or individuals in your city. Additionally, some cities offer free tax clinics, such as the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), where volunteers can help you file your tax return for free.
  3. Using Tax Preparation Software: The CRA provides a list of approved tax preparation software that you can use to complete and submit your own tax return online. These software programs guide you through the process, ensuring accuracy and efficiency. If it’s your first time filing a tax return or you do not have a valid SIN, you may need to print out, sign, and mail your tax return to the CRA with supporting documents.
  4. Income Tax Return Information Sessions: Consider attending information sessions or workshops organized by the CRA or other reputable organizations. These sessions provide valuable insights and guidance on how to file your tax return accurately. Check with your university or local community centers for any upcoming information sessions.

Making Payments or Receiving Refunds

After filing your tax return, you may either owe taxes or be eligible for a refund. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Balance Owing: If you owe taxes, it is important to pay the amount due by the deadline to avoid interest charges and penalties. The CRA offers various payment options, including online payments and installment plans for those who cannot pay the full amount at once.
  2. Refunds: If you overpaid your taxes, you will receive a refund. The refund will be deposited directly into your bank account if you have set up direct deposit with the CRA. Keep track of the status of your refund and any correspondence from the CRA.


Filing a tax return in Canada is a crucial responsibility for residents, including international students. By understanding the required documents, reporting income accurately, claiming deductions, and utilizing available resources, you can navigate the Canadian tax system with confidence. Remember to file your tax return on time, keep all relevant documents, and consult professionals or utilize tax clinics if needed. By fulfilling your tax obligations, you can access benefits and credits while ensuring compliance with the Canadian tax regulations.

For all your Accounting and Tax needs you can contact BOMCAS Canada Accounting and Tax Services today for all your accounting and tax needs